Career Exploration Activities
The Career Development team at Mid-East serves 13 partner school districts. The goal is to assist teachers with career awareness for their students and to share the connection to the community and future work. Some experiences that are available are careers on the walk, career days, vehicle career day, classroom activities, wild animal track painting and various community speakers. An elementary newsletter is provided to the partner schools in the fall and spring, showcasing career activities at the elementary level.
Career Exploration Specialist
Careers in My Community
Mid-East Career and Technology Centers worked with stakeholders from AOP-20 and partnered with Ohio Valley ESC to establish a pilot partnership program focused on K-6 career exploration and awareness. This ambitious step was predicated on the feedback received from educators and employers. This new partnership seeks to develop and implement an open resource K-6 curriculum supporting career exploration.
Expectations of Project:
- Daily Lesson plans approx. 40 minutes in length
- Lesson plans will be banded K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6
- Each pilot school will work with the project team to identify faculty to review and validate lesson plans before January implementation
- Lessons are connected to math and reading standards that are grade-level appropriate and include multiple hands-on and experiential activities/events with business and industry representatives.
- Designed as a “special” that supplements students’ educational needs in addition to math and ELA standards.
- The length of a curriculum map, number of units, and length of class periods may depend on elementary school schedules.
- Tentatively, Mon-Thurs will be for classroom instruction, and Friday will be for administrative tasks.
- Classroom instruction began January 2023 with National Road Elementary (Zanesville City Schools), Crooksville Elementary (Crooksville Exempted Village Schools), and Shenandoah Elementary (Noble Local Schools) serving as pilot locations.
Participating Districts for the 2023-2024 School Year:
- Crooksville EVSD - Crooksville Elementary (8/28/23-10/5/23) - 2nd Year
- Franklin LSD - Roseville Elementary (10/16/23-11/30/23)
- Zanesville CS - John McIntire Elementary (12/11/23-2/1/24)
- Northern LSD - Thornville Elementary (2/12/24-3/21/24)
- Maysville LSD - Maysville Elementary (4/1/24-5/9/24)
Career Exploration Instructor