Mid-East Career and Technology Centers provide every student dynamic career opportunities by creating and delivering exceptional educational programs.
Our commitment to every student's success drives us to be the leader in Career-Technical Education.
In September of 1969 the doors opened and classes began for the Muskingum Area Joint Vocational School on 400 Richards Road in Zanesville. The school shared the campus with the Muskingum Area Technical Institute (now Zane State) and the adult school (now Mid-East CTC - Adult Education). During the 1969-70 school year, 540 students were enrolled in high school programs and 1010 in adult programs. In this initial year, the “vocational” school offered 23 programs and the “adult school” offered 72. Walker Huffman was the first superintendent of the district.
The school continued to expand as in 1973, a second campus, Guernsey-Noble, was opened. Then in 1975 the “Technical College” moved to its current Newark Road location allowing the vocational school to occupy all of the buildings of the “Muskingum Area” campus.
At Mid-East, we believe every student deserves the chance to make their education a real-world experience. By integrating strong academics with robust career-minded education, our students expand their options and opportunities to succeed in today’s global economy. Together with parents, business leaders, and the community, we challenge all students to imagine the possibilities, achieve a competitive advantage, and excel beyond the classroom.
Who We Serve
- High School Students: who want to earn money through paid internships, experience hands-on activities based on their unique interests, choose their own path, experience relevant academics, build new relationships with peers, explore their career direction purposefully, get certified for free in high school, prepare for and succeed in college, and graduate.
- Adult Learners: who want the technical skills to advance their careers quickly, go to school on a flexible schedule, save money on their education, get certified, and further their earning potential.
- Business and Industry: who want to build their business through a steady local pipeline of skilled, reliable, professional, and certified workers who respect authority, provide better customer service rapport, and be part of business advisory groups that have a vested interest/say in how students are trained.
- Preschool Students: who are provided educational opportunities daily by teaching staff and student teachers that stimulate their cognitive, social-emotional, and physical development. The environment supports free, open exploration with hands-on experiences with a balance of structured learning activities.
What We Offer
- High School Opportunities: We offer over 30 high-demand CTE programs to give all students a competitive advantage by integrating academic and technical skills with two campuses serving 13 districts in four counties (Guernsey, Muskingum, Noble, and Perry).
- Adult Education Opportunities: Eight full-time and multiple part-time Adult Education programs in conjunction with customized training available for local business and industries.
- CARE Opportunities: Career & Academic Readiness Education (CARE) is a division that provides opportunities in six counties assisting adults to complete their high school education and prepare for their careers.
- Preschool Opportunities: Our preschool offers programs that serve families with children three to five years of age. Our Early Learning Program is ideal for those families who need a part time or full time preschool program for their child. Our Pre-K Program is ideal for those families who want to focus on kindergarten readiness skills the year before kindergarten.
Why Choose Mid-East?
- Competitive Advantage: For high school students, a free education integrating academic knowledge with technical career skills creates a real-world competitive advantage in today’s new economy — expanding their options and opportunities upon graduation and helping them become independent sooner. For adult learners, gaining a new skill gives them an edge in their career journey.
- Value: High school students can explore their career interests before it gets expensive at college. They may also earn an industry credential for a lifelong marketable skill. Adult learners can increase their earning potential quickly at a very affordable investment.
- Quality: Rigorous academic and technical education, student-centered learning, high-tech facilities and equipment, robust experiences, industry networking, and experienced instructors provide a high-quality learning experience.